Friday, July 23, 2010

the "us" in "all of us"


As you may recall, I took off four days from work and visited my sister and her husband in NYC this past weekend. While I was feeling the pangs of mother's guilt prior to leaving, I was actually surprised that I didn't feel much of it during the trip.

Yes, I missed my children and thought about them quite a bit. But the person I missed the most was my husband. As much as I love our life as parents, I miss having time with him. I miss having breakfast and chatting about the day, watching the news together, having lunch at a local bar, going to the movies and out to dinner at night, going on long mountain bike rides during the weekend. I miss our time.

While in NYC, I took a little respite from mommyhood and enjoyed rare treats like sleeping in, going out to drinks and dinner every night, shopping, and walking about with just my light purse in town. I kept wishing Alain was there with me to share that special time with him. It's been over 3 years since we became parents and we enjoy it so much. We've grown, learned and changed and we share something incredibly special - our children.

But I do not want to let go of our time. Maybe get a little bit in each day, and a weekend here and there. Not to take us back to where we were, because I think neither one of us would ever want to go back to when it was just the two of us. Just to make sure we keep a little us, within the all of us.

5 comments:

  1. Oh that is so true. I was just thinking of this today as my husband and I are getting our first ever babysitter and having date night tonight. It has been 5 years in the making and I don't know why it took us so long. Thanks for the reminder to remember the "us", so important:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true. It's hard to get in a little couple's time with small children around, but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so important to have that time together! It gets harder and harder the more kids you have but you just have to make the time to nurture your relationship or else it can get brushed to the side while trying to deal with the day to day!

    Stopping by from SITS... your comment was above mine today! I'd love to have you stop by my blog when you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it so hard? We've been parents for 4 years, have a child with Autism, and are both freelancers with our own businesses. So it is very rare that we get "us" time.

    Glad you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I left you an award on my blog! Come check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete