Tuesday, April 27, 2010

learning more about me


I sometimes struggle with the question "who am I?"

The struggle usually starts mid conversation with a semi stranger. For example, I was at the gym last week talking with a gentleman who is going on a cool mountain bike trip. Very interested, I start asking questions about the path, the bike, the climb. But then, I get stuck. Do I share some of my experiences, preferences, ideas? But then what if he asks: "Oh, when did you ride that trail?" or "Have you been there recently?" I'd have to be honest and say it's been well over 3 years since I've riden my mountain bike, since I got pregnant with Luca.

Motherhood has added many joys and new activities to my days, and there have also been some changes. Amongst the casualties are mountain biking. Can I still call myself a mountain biker if I haven't ridden in so long? I guess not, but I can call myself many things that I am proud about. Maybe I'll take up mountain biking when Luca and Andre are a bit older and can ride along. In the mean time, I'll keep finding out who I am. It's the learning journey of life.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I'm in the process of finding out who I am again. If only I could go away on a trip like I did in college. LOL. I find it refreshing and challenging all at once!

    ReplyDelete