The past year has been full of transitions for Luca and I’ve picked up on a pattern of dealing with stressful things which leads me to wonder about how to best help him when he is undergoing something difficult in his life. Here is a list of the events that led me to identify the pattern:
- Andre was born: Luca did not recognize his existence for at least 6 months
- Pre-school started: Luca did not talk about what he did in school, nor answer our questions about it, not during the entire school year
- Alain went on a two week trip: Luca did not ask about him
- Luca’s grandmother passed away: Luca has not asked about her. Further, when I point to her picture he does not name her
- Luca’s pre-school assistant was replaced: same as above
Hmmm, this sounds like someone I know very well and that person is me. I tend not to talk about the most stressful things in my life but can talk freely about normal stress. How do I support his transitions, and help him to cope and process his feelings? It sounds like I need to do a little work on myself, and also lean on Alain to help on this one.