Wednesday, January 26, 2011

motherhood kaizen

Kaizen
I work closely with a client who abides by the Kaizen philosphy, a Japanese principle of continuous improvement. The benefits of this philosophy are clear. They consistently meet and exceed performance standards, continuously improving their processes, products and services.

I've been applying the concept of kaizen to my ever-present responsibility for balancing motherhood and a professional life. Some of those strategies include staying connected with other working moms and sharing best practices, collaborating with my husband and educating myself about parenting strategies, motherhood and self-realization.

I also realize that kaizen has its potential downfalls. As some might say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And when it comes to work and motherhood, maybe it is OK to maintain the status quo sometimes. Yes. Things could be better/cleaner/speedier/easier, but it's also good to relax and enjoy a little.

Let the dust bunnies multiply under my couch while I sit down with my children and write a book!

5 comments:

  1. A little dusty bunnies never hurt anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I've learned that the house cleaning can wait. The moments with our family are so much more important! Thanks for dropping by on my SITS day. I hop you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. It's always OK to take time to enjoy.

    Happy SITS day.

    LisaDay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally get this - I'm always looking for ways to improve - and I find it's never that difficult to find - HA~

    ReplyDelete